Llangollen Cottages
Welcome to Llangollen - home of history, culture, nature and song.

Home Page

Scotch Hall

1, The Beeches

Bookings

Bookings & Events Calendar

Llangollen Attractions

International Eisteddfod

Other Places to Visit

River Dee

The River Dee

Trevor Wharf

Trevor Wharf

Trevor bridge

Trevor Bridge

Berwyn Station

Berwyn Station

Eglwyseg Rocks - Panorama, World's End, Arthur's Rock, Maiden's Rock

Eglwyseg Rocks


Llangollen Attractions

Castell Dinas Bran

Castell Dinas Bran - Crow Castle Castell Dinas Bran - Crow Castle Castell Dinas Bran - Crow Castle Castell Dinas Bran - Crow Castle

An iron age hillfort (c.600BC) and 13th century medieval castle.  The castle was built towards the latter part of the century by one of the princes of Powis Fadog (probably  Gruffydd II ap Madog) on the site of the former hill fort.  It was destroyed by a fire (started by the Welsh to stop it falling into English hands) during the wars between Llywelyn ap Gruffydd, Prince of Wales and Edward I of England.  It was captured in 1277 by Henry de Lacy, Earl of Lincoln and was not repaired.  More of its history and mythology can be unravelled by taking a spectacular walk to the top and reading the information boards dotted around the site.

The castle ruins dominate the landscape and provide a commanding view of Llangollen and the Dee Valley.

Valle Crucis Abbey

Valle Crucis Abbey Eliseg's Pillar Valle Crucis Abbey Valle Crucis Abbey

Also built during the 13th century, the abbey was constructed by Cistercian monks and takes its name (which means the ‘Valley of the Cross’) from a 9th century memorial cross (Eliseg’s Pillar).  The site is managed by CADW and is located just outside Llangollen on the A542 road to the Horseshoe Pass.  The remains of Eliseg’s Pillar are located in an adjacent field.

The Horseshoe Pass

The A542 from Llangollen to Llandegla runs through the pass, reaching a maximum height of 417 metres (1,368 ft).  The road follows a horseshoe shape around the sides of the valley, giving the pass its English name.  In Welsh it is called “Bwlch yr Oernant”, which translates as “Pass of the Cold Stream”.  The road provides magnificent views of the valley, the Eglwyseg rocks and Castell Dinas Bran.

Eglwyseg Rocks

The Eglwyseg rocks are a limestone escarpment that form a striking backdrop to the town and provide a popular venue for rock climbers.  Offa’s Dyke path passes through the area and many other paths allow walkers to take advantage of the beautiful scenery.

Plas Newydd

Plas Newydd - Ladies of Llangollen Plas Newydd Llangollen Plas Newydd

Plas Newydd was the home of the “Ladies of Llangollen” between 1780 and 1829.  Lady Eleanor Butler and Miss Sarah Ponsonby captured the imagination of Regency society and transformed and extended their modest cottage into the elaborately carved house and gardens that we see today.

The two ladies came from the Irish landed classes.  They met and realised they wanted to spend the rest of their lives together.  They moved to Wales and established their home in Llangollen.

They entertained many significant characters from the period including the celebrated poet William Wordsworth, novelist and poet Sir Walter Scott and the Duke of Wellington.

The Llangollen Canal

Chirk Aqueduct Llangollen Wharf Chirk Canal Pontcysyllte

The Llangollen canal is 46 miles long and eventually joins the Shropshire Union canal at Hurleston in Cheshire.  It is fed by the river Dee at the Horseshoe Falls just outside Llangollen.  Work commenced in 1795 and it eventually became part of the Shropshire Union canal network in 1846.  There are two aqueducts within a few miles of Llangollen – The Pontcysyllte Aqueduct crossing the Dee Valley between Trevor and Froncysyllte and the Chirk Aqueduct that spans the Ceiriog Valley.

The Pontcysyllte Aqueduct (a World Heritage Site) is 126 ft (38 m) high and 1,007 ft (307 m) long and was completed in 1805.  Chirk Aqueduct is 70-ft (21 m) high and 710 ft (220 m) long.  It was completed in 1801.  Both aqueducts were designed by Thomas Telford.

Canal boats can be hired from both Llangollen and Trevor Wharf.  Llangollen Wharf also offers Horse Drawn Boat Trips.

Llangollen Steam Railway

Steam Train, Llangollen Steam Train and the Corn Mill Llangollen Station 

Originally part of the Ruabon to Barmouth line, it first opened in 1865, but was closed to passengers in 1965.  It was re-opened by volunteers as a tourist attraction in 1972 and provides a nostalgic and magical journey up the Dee valley, through tunnels, over bridges and along river banks.  It now operates along a 7.5 mile (12.1km) stretch between Llangollen and Carrog and plays host to resident and visiting steam engines from the era.

Riverside Walks

 The Corn Mill Llangollen Slabs Llangollen Bridge River Dee and Geraint Hill

The River Dee starts its 70 mile journey in the hills above Llanuwchllyn before flowing through Llyn Tegid, Bala and down the Dee Valley through Llangollen.  It provides sport for anglers and canoeists and provides attractive riverside walks for visitors to the town.

The iconic road bridge in the centre of the town has been the location of a river crossing for many centuries with the first stone bridge constructed in 1345 and futher construction carried out in 1656 and 1873.


These are just some of the attractions Llangollen has to offer, but it is by no means an exhaustive list. When you stay at Scotch Hall or The Beeches you will get the opportunity to see it all with your own eyes.


Website produced by Emrys MultimediaValid CSS!